Pages

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Fleecing the Flock (Sheep Shearing)


"The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou annointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever."
Psalm 23


This picture may remind you of Bach's pastoral melody "Sheep May Safely Graze" ~ everything calm and serene, but that's not what is running through the average sheep's mind on shearing day. This year, Ray, Sara, and Valerie helped some friends with their annual sheep shearing on May 1st. The day started at 7:30 with setting up the equipment and fences and rounding up the not-so-enthusiastic herd of little rebels. Ask any sheep farmer.....those little critters are so unpredictable! They had practiced the penning up routine for a week and the sheep were behaving beautifully.....that is, until the big day arrived. That morning only half would cooperate. The other half were left to their own devices for a while.


Ha! Ha! Caught You!

Valerie and Sara picking "tags"

Fred shearing the sheep

Chad giving the "manicures".....the hooves have to be checked for disease and trimmed so as to prevent lameness.


First, the sheep are put into the holding pen where they await their turn for a buzz cut.





























They are then caught one by one and brought before the shearer to meet their fate.

This is the back-breaking job. Bent over for hours on end with very little relief until the day is over.

Then the "tags" as well as all the belly and neck wool are removed from the fleece . When it is ready, it is packed in bags to take to the sale.




























































There weren't as many this year as in years past. With only 85 sheared they were able to finish well before nightfall. Below are some videos that give a little more of an idea what a sheep farm is like on just one of those big days of the year.

As the sheep are being sheared, they sit there so docile without a sound ~ not even a bleat. Only if a ewe is pregnant will she even whimper. Watching the shearing process paints such a beautiful picture of what Jesus did for me....."He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth." (Isaiah 53:7)



While herding the sheep and trying to get them going in the right direction.....while trying to get them to go into the holding pen......watching them follow the sheep dog back down into the pasture where we don't want them to go.....all of this reminds me of who I really am and why Jesus went to the cross to suffer and die....."All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all." (Isaiah 53:6)

"
Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world."

John 1:29




No comments: